Monday, August 13, 2007

Malouda & Pizarro Pleased With Chelsea Debuts



Title challengers Chelsea enjoyed a winning start to the season this weekend, and new boys Florent Malouda and Claudio Pizarro are happy with their contributions.

Both summer signings were on the scoresheet as The Blues edged out a resilient Birmingham City team 3-2.

Malouda scored after Lampard put him through, the former Lyon man lifting the ball beyond Doyle and into the City net. The winger was pleased to have helped his side make a solid start to the season.

“I think the team showed good spirit on the pitch and we are very happy to start the season with a victory here at Stamford Bridge,” he told Chelsea’s official website.

The goal was his second in as many weeks after bravely hitting home Chelsea’s normal time equaliser in the Community Shield. The Frenchman got clattered by United keeper van der Saar in the process, and was a doubt for the Birmingham game, but he is happy to have made it.

“Last week with the goalkeeper I couldn’t continue the game but this time I played on and I’m very happy,” concluded Malouda.

Claudio Pizarro, a free transfer from Bayern Munich this summer also netted after a lovely run from man-of-the-match Shaun Wright-Phillips earned the Peruvian some space in the middle.

“I’m very happy after the game, it’s very important to win three points. I think we play very good football, and in the next game I hope we play like this,” said Pizarro.

“I’m trying to stay in the team, working very hard and hopefully in the next game I can play again.

“There is a lot of competition and that’s normal because we are playing a lot of competitions here. We are all after the chance to play,” he concluded.

No comments: